We're an MIT spinoff providing portable,
non-destructive metal strength testing
and seam identification services.
MMT’s HSD Tester applied to each batch.
Our validation data is continually improving.
We completed four series of blind tests and have a growing in-house database.
1. Destructive “hot tap”. Accurate, expensive, long lead time for results.
2. Non-destructive instrumented indentation. Can’t determine seam type and strength, critical to finding bulk strength
3. Semi-destructive pressure test. Over pressure can introduce new cracks/leaks.
HSD Tester engages surface, makes 4 parallel grooves, and automatically measures profile of each (15 minutes).
Groove profile data collected, up to 2 in. per run.
Massachusetts Materials Technologies, LLC
In-line tools identify pipeline sections belonging to same manufacturing batch.
For additional technical information, please contact us and request a presentation.
Field technician prepares surface (15 minutes)
and mounts HSD Tester to pipe.
1. Controls own stability through system of floats and springs, reducing errors from vibration, temperature variations, and curvature
2. Differentiates LF, HF, and HF-Normalized seams
3. Detects local material gradients such as hard spots.
4. Unrivaled spatial resolution.
5. No stick-slip friction stability issues, as exists with Advanced Indentation
6. Delivers most repeatable, accurate, and reliable results
7. Can be positioned anywhere around the pipe
Data generates material’s tensile properties..
Determine seam weld type, steel grade, and other mechanical properties.
Profile across welds determines seam type & normalization.
Copyright MMT LLC, 2016. All Rights Reserved.
Hardness, Strength, and Ductility (HSD) is a trademark of MMT LLC.